Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Streetcar Named Desire

The title of this play is very interesting. During my first reading, I was confused what a streetcar is actually. I thought it was the name of the street where the scene takes place, only later when I watched the movie then I realised that it is actually a means of transportation, which looked like to me a bus. Even though I expected the storyline to be captivating, I found out my expectation was not correct. This is due to some difficulty to understand the character trait of the main characters. I could not differentiate who are the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s), who should be blamed, who tells the truth and who tells the lies and things like that.
Fortunately, I had a chance to clarify my misunderstanding as I attended Sir Edwin’s lecture. As usual, he highlighted the important points for us to consider. Actually, after I learnt it more deeply with Sir Edwin, I tended to change my initial perception that this play is not interesting. It is indeed a very meaningful play.

No comments: